One day a strong and famous samurai visited a Zen priest, but in the presence of the monk the samurai suddenly felt inferior. The monk's movements were crisp and precise, his movements were perfect.

The samurai asked the monk, "Why do I feel inferior? Before I arrived I was fine, but as I entered your court I suddenly felt inferior. I have never felt like this way before. I have risked my life and faced death many times on the battle field, and not once have I felt fear. Yet, now I am  frightened?"

"Wait.  When everyone else has gone, I will answer your question," said the monk.

Through out the day people came and went. The samurai grew tired from the wait. In the evening, the room emptied and the samurai asked "Can you answer me, now?"

"Let's take a walk," said the monk.

The moon was full and just beyond gate stood two trees with the moon shining through the pines.   Moon of the Popping Trees

"Look at those two trees. This tree stands tall and reaches great heights, and this one is small standing beside it. I have gazed and carefully watched these two trees over the years, and not once has there been any trouble amongst them. The smaller tree has never said to the big tree, 'Why do I feel inferior before you?' Why haven't I heard a single whisper of it"?

The samurai said, "Because the two trees can't compare."

"Then you need not ask me. You know the answer,"replied the monk.

Comments (0)